Volunteer with your Dog
Therapy dogs are pets that love to interact with people and be petted. They visit patients in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice, participate in "Read to a Dog" programs at schools and libraries, and more. Handi-Dogs works with volunteers registered with the national non-profit, Pet Partners (formerly known as Delta Society). The local Pet Partners group is called Therapy Animals of Southern Arizona - visit their website to learn more about the steps to becoming registered with Pet Partners.
Therapy Dog "Drop-In" Class:
Classes will emphasize handler/dog teamwork while you learn and practice obedience and other skills needed to become a therapy dog team. These classes will also help to provide an understanding if your dog has the 'right temperment' and desire to do this type of work.
This is a 'drop-in' style class. You can attend one or as many sessions as you wish.
Dates: Friday mornings, beginning April 12th (if you can't make Friday mornings, call us to see about other options we might have.)
Time: 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Place: Handi-Dogs, 75 S. Montego Dr., Tucson 85710
Cost: $ 20 per one-hour class
Eligibility for these classes:
- Dogs must have proof of health and required vaccinations.
- All dogs must work on a 6-foot or shorter leash; collars and leashes must not have linking metals parts on them.
- Dogs in heat are not allowed on Handi-Dogs' premises.
We HIGHLY RECOMMEND you read these documents, prior to enrolling:
- FAQs - provides more information about all the steps to becoming a Pet Partner, including 2-year registration fees paid directly to Pet Partners, upon passing the Handler Course and Evaluation.
- Pre-Requisites for becoming a Pet Partner - great self-assessment tool to determine if you think your dog and you will enjoy and be appropriate for this type of volunteer work.
- The Skills and Aptitude tests for the Team Evaluation.
To enroll or if you have more questions - email email@example.com or call 326-3412.
Therapy Dogs do not have universal public access rights. They can only enter facilities for which you have prior approval.
To become a registered Pet Partners therapy dog team, you must complete their Handlers Course (withOUT your dog) as well as pass their 22-part evaluation. You can find Handlers Course offerings at: www.TherapyAnimalsAZ.org.
Taking this course does not guarantee you will pass the Pet Partners evaluation to be eligible to become a registered Pet Partners Therapy Animal Team.