Therapy Dog Training
'Volunteer with your Dog' Training
Designed to help people prepare for evaluations by other organizations which manage volunteer therapy dog programs.
Therapy dogs bring joy and comfort to people in hospitals, assisted-living homes, hospice, participate in "Read to a Dog" programs at schools and libraries, and more.
Therapy dogs love to interact with people and be petted. They enjoy going to new places. They are non-reactive to other animals. They are indifferent to loud noises or visual distractions. They are reliable, predictable, and controllable.
Our training emphasizes handler/dog teamwork. It helps handlers understand if their dog has the traits to make a good therapy dog. Training builds on required obedience skills by introducing distractions such as medical equipment, crowds and noises.
We offer both private lessons and group classes.
Private Lessons - each lesson is up to one hour and costs $50. There is no multi-week commitment.
'Drop In' Group Classes - each class is one hour and costs $20. Attend one or as many classes as needed to meet your goals. There is no multi-week commitment. No advance reservations required.
- Fridays 11:00 - Noon No class April 14, May 26, June 30, September 1, November 24, December 22 & 29, 2017
- Saturdays 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. No class April 15, May 27, July 1, September 2, November 25, December 23 & 30, 2017
Please bring shot records & training treats (small, 1/4" pieces of good smelly treats like cheese, hot dog, meat, Natural Balance roll, etc.).
- Dogs must have some basic obedience training (sit, down, stay, loose leash walking) - if not, please attend the Pet Dog classes.
- Dogs must have proof of required vaccinations.
- All dogs must work on a 6-foot or shorter leash; collars and leashes must not have linking metals parts on them.
- Note: dogs in 'heat' are not allowed on the premises.
Download and complete the Therapy Dog Drop-In Class Registration Form or fill it out on your first day of class.
We offer private lessons for those unable to attend our regular group classes. Please download the Private Lesson Registration Form and email the completed form to Glenda@Handi-Dogs.org.
Therapy Dogs do NOT have public access rights. They can only enter places for which you have prior approval.
Taking these classes does not guarantee you will pass the evaluation by a certifying organization.