Volunteer with your Dog
Therapy dogs are pets that love to interact with people and be petted. They visit patients in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice, participate in "Read to a Dog" programs at schools and libraries, and more.
Therapy Dog Teams (handler & dog) must be assessed by and registered with an organization such as Pet Partners. The local Pet Partners group is called Therapy Animals of Southern Arizona - visit their website to learn more about the steps to becoming registered with Pet Partners. (If you would like a visit by a Therapy Dog Team, please contact Therapy Animals of Southern Arizona).
Therapy Dog Classes:
Classes emphasize handler/dog teamwork while you learn and practice obedience and other skills needed to become a therapy dog team, & help to understand whether your dog has the temperament and desire to do this type of work.
- Fridays 11:00-Noon
- Saturdays 9:30 - 10:30 am - through January 31, 2015
$20 per one-hour class. You can attend one or as many classes as you wish, no commitment. Please bring shot records & training treats (small, 1/4" pieces of good smelly treats like cheese, hot dog, meat, Natural Balance roll, etc.).
Therapy Dog Drop-In Class Registration or you may fill this out the day of your first class.
6-Week Therapy Dog Course
- February 7 -- March 14, 2015
- Saturdays 9:30-10:30 (replaces the Drop-In class for 6 weeks)
- Registration Form
Eligibility for all Therapy Dog classes:
- Dogs must have some previous basic obedience training - if not, please attend the Pet Dog classes instead;
- Dogs must have proof of health and required vaccinations;
- All dogs must work on a 6-foot or shorter leash; collars and leashes must not have linking metals parts on them;
- Dogs in heat are not allowed on Handi-Dogs' premises;
- We HIGHLY RECOMMEND you read these documents, prior to enrolling:
- FAQs - provides more information about all the steps to becoming a Pet Partner, including 2-year registration fees paid directly to Pet Partners, upon passing the Handler Course and Evaluation.
- Pre-Requisites for becoming a Pet Partner - great self-assessment tool to determine if you think your dog and you will enjoy and be appropriate for this type of volunteer work.
- The Skills and Aptitude tests for the Team Evaluation.
To enroll or if you have more questions - email email@example.com or call 326-3412.
Therapy Dogs do not have universal public access rights. They can only enter facilities for which you have prior approval.
To become a registered Pet Partners therapy dog team, you must complete their Handlers Course (withOUT your dog) as well as pass their 22-part evaluation. You can find Handlers Course offerings at: www.TherapyAnimalsAZ.org
Taking this course does not guarantee you will pass the Pet Partners evaluation to be eligible to become a registered Pet Partners Therapy Animal Team.